Packing list for tours and trek in Peru
During the treks in Cordilleras Huayhuash or Blanca you will fill your backpack just enough, to pack clothes and sleeping bag for 3, 4, 8 or 11 days (depending of the tour duration). Your team of donkeys and donkey drivers will carry these bags together with the food and equipment for the trail. Please note that you will not have access to these items until the end of each day as the donkeys and donkey drivers will always be ahead of the group. You should therefore bring a day pack in which you can carry personal belongings such as your camera, water and sun screen etc. Your duffle bag must not weigh more than 10 kilograms (20 lbs) which is to include your sleeping bag – this limit is set to protect the health of animals because they also carry food boxes and utensils.
Check list for your trek
- PASSPORT: You MUST take your passport and a photocopy is not sufficient. (Keep it in a plastic bag in case of rain).
- SLEEPING BAG: You will need a good warm sleeping bag for the treks in Cordilleras. Where possible we recommend you bring your own sleeping bag, however adequate ones can be hired locally (for approx US$8 per day) but we can take no responsibility for the standard. If you are planning to hire a bag it is a good idea to bring a silk sleeping bag liner to use inside for added warmth and comfort. A four season (or -10) bag is recommended for the winter months. At other times you will probably be fine in a 3 season (or -4/-5) bag although this depends on how much you feel the cold and is given as a guideline only.
- The INFLATABLE MATTRESS are included in the package price. If you are travelling in winter and you do not wish to invest in a 4 season bag you may want to consider purchasing a 3 season bag plus a sleeping bag liner and bringing additional clothing.
- SILK SLEEPING BAG LINER: Especially recommended if you plan to hire a sleeping bag but can also give your own bag added warmth.
- WATERPROOF, WELL WORN-IN WALKING BOOTS: Good quality, comfortable footwear is essential. Whatever you wear on your feet the most important thing is comfort. It is vital to ensure your boots are well worn in and lightweight. Ankle support and waterproofing is recommended but if you already have something comfortable with good grip on rocks then don’t go rushing out to buy new boots – you are better off with your well worn in pair!
- WATERPROOF CLOTHING: In rain season a plastic poncho is recommended and can be purchased locally for approximately US$1. Some trekkers also like to bring waterproof trousers, however a poncho will usually be sufficient if it covers your bag, body and most of your legs.
- PLASTIC BAGS: to keep your belongings and clothes dry (wrap everything in plastic bags).
- Also small plastic bags for rubbish which can then be thrown in the main rubbish bag provided by the staff.
- SMALL TOWEL AND BASIC PERSONAL TOILETIES: For a shower at the campsite so bring travel size shampoo and shower gel if you would like to use it.
- WATER BOTTLE: bring one large (1.5 litre) or two or three small water bottles that can be refilled on the trail with boiled water, which will be supplied when possible.
- WARM CLOTHING FOR THE NIGHT TIME: Fleece, long pants, woollen hat, gloves
- THERMAL ANDERWEAR: If trekking in winter or you feel the cold
- WALKING CLOTHING IN LAYERS: e.g. zip off trousers, fleece, T-shirts
- PERSONAL MEDICATION AND BASIC FIRST AID KIT: Bandaids, Imodium, Panadol, rehydration sachets
- CAMERA AND SPARE BATTERIES, MEMORY CARDS OR FILM: Please note: there are no electrical outlets on the treks so make sure you fully charge or/and have spare batteries!
- SNACKS: Chocolates, chips, biscuits, energy bars. Snacks are provided during the trek but you may like to bring one or two extras just in case.
- TORCH (FLASH-LIGHT): (Very Important) and spare batteries.
- FOR THE SUN: Sunscreen, sunglasses and sunhat
- TROPICAL STRENGTH: insect repellant
- Antiseptic hand gel
- SWIMWEAR FOR VICONGA (Huayhuash trek) HOT POOLS: Towels also.
- FLIPFLOPS, THONGS, SANDALS, etc.
We encourage you to contact us if you should have any further questions no matter how trivial they may seem to you. We are pleased to address any and all your questions or concerns. Your safety and complete satisfaction is our sole mission.